Tuesday, December 9, 2008

How To Add A One-Hole Bow To Your Greeting Card

The one-hole bow has been around for a while, but just in case you've never made one, I've provided some directions below. What I like about this bow-making method is that the bow is always straight when it's finished. I typically end up with bows that are slanted to one side, but not with this technique.

First, punch a hole where you want the bow to be. I used a 1/4" hole-punch for my 1/4" grosgrain ribbon.




Next, place your ribbon on top of the cardstock. Be sure you cut a longer piece of ribbon than usual, because it will be wrapping completely around your cardstock before being tied into a bow.



Wrap the ribbon around to the back of the cardstock, then thread both ends through the hole from back to front. Pull one end out below the ribbon, and one end out above it.



Now tie a bow and you're done. I've attached this small element to a card, but this technique is also very effective when used directly on a full-size card, especially if you use a dramatic or fancy ribbon.

3 comments:

The Crazy Cat Lady said...

Thank you! I've always wanted to make cards with only one hole punch, but couldn't figure out how!

country cottage said...

Thanks so much for sharing how to do this.

Cheryl said...

You are both very welcome! I would probably never have figured this out myself, but lucky for me I learned it at a Stampin' Up! event. It's a nice change when you're tired of the usual bow.