Sunday, February 15, 2009

How-To: Covered Button Bobby Pins


This is a quick and easy variation on the covered button hair elastic I showed you a few months ago. All you need for each one is a covered button, a bobby pin with a circular pad, and some E-6000 glue. I used size 24 buttons, which are 5/8" in diameter, and both the bobby pins and the glue are available in most craft stores.

Refer to the covered button hair elastic tutorial for photos and directions on how to cover a button. Before you assemble the pieces, be sure to remove the loop from the button back with a pair of pliers, and discard it where children and pets can't find it. Then simply attach the pad to the back of your covered button with a dab of E-6000 glue. Let the glue dry completely before using your new bobby pin.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are one cool hair pins. A nice project too. When I get a hold of some cool fabric-covered buttons I will try this one. Hope you don't mind :-) Thanks for posting

Anonymous said...

You are sooo creative, I love these.
Where can you get the supplies?

Wildflower Studio (Michelle Dransart) said...

Cute idea! This looks like a fun little blog you have going here! I'll be back! Come visit me at my blog sometime, love to have you!

Cheryl said...

Thanks everyone! They are cute, aren't they?

The bobby pins are available in the jewelry supply section of most large craft stores, and the kits to make the buttons can be found in the sewing notions section of just about any place that sells fabric.

Anonymous said...

Cute hair pin ever :)

Anonymous said...

I love it.That is so cool and my daughter and I can do that together.( maybe then she will stay out my stuff everyday.

Anonymous said...

My 12-year-old daughter came across your blog last month while searching to find how to make these bobby pins like a friend of hers purchased at a craft fair. We couldn't find the bobby pins like those in any shops in town but we found them them online from Thunder Rock Sports Jewelry. We got the rest of the supplies from JoAnns fabric store. She ended up making some for 2 of her girlfriends too. They loved them. Thank you for posting your bobby pins project!