Sunday, November 2, 2008

Tutorial - Covered Button Hair Elastic


This has to be one of the easiest but most effective craft projects I've ever done. I make a variety of things with covered buttons, and the hair elastic is probably my favorite, although I can't wear these because my hair is short. There are probably dozens of different tutorials for them on the internet, but I thought I'd share with you how I make them.

(For the directions below, the corresponding photos go clockwise from top left in each set.)




1. First, gather your supplies. You will need a covered button shell and back, a pusher and holder assembly aid, a small piece of fabric, and a plain hair elastic (not pictured here). I like to use Maxant brand buttons. You can purchase a kit that includes the assembly aid, and refill packages without the assembly aid are available. I'm using size 24 buttons.

2. Using the template that corresponds to your button size (provided on the package), cut a circle of your fabric and center it over the assembly holder. Place the button shell on top of the fabric.

3. Push the button shell down into the assembly holder as far as it will go.

4. Fold the edges of the fabric down into the button shell.





5. Place the button back on top of the shell, with the loop pointing up.

6. Place the plastic pusher over the button back.

7. Press the pusher down all the way to attach the back to the shell.

8. Your button should look like the one at bottom right, above.





9. Press on the bottom of the holder until the button pops out. Now isn't that like magic? A covered button!

10. Thread your hair elastic into the button loop.

11. Loop one end of the elastic over the button loop and through the other end of the elastic.

12. Pull tight, and you're done! It's that easy!

These are so much fun to make, and they are great little stocking stuffers for Christmas. They look especially cute when you group 2 or 3 of them on a ponytail.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunt Sheri, I have long hair, you know your niece Tara, could I have it?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Cheryl said...

Well, Tara, I already gave that one away, but I can make some more for you. We'll talk....

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool site you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Best regards
Jeph Normic

Term Papers said...

This is fine Tutorial. I have seen this tutorial in ebay.com,but i found not much detail on it. But i found your blog descriptive.

Custom writing said...

Such a creative and innovative post.

Custom Home Detailing said...

Very nice education on the crafts. This looks like a good hair elastic. Good job.