Wednesday, December 17, 2008

How-To: Takeout Box Gift Package


I wish I could tell you where I got the template for this little takeout box, but it has been so long since I used it, that I simply can't remember. However, a quick search of the web should result in several free patterns. I just happened to come across a few of these today, already cut out, in a folder, probably left over from a workshop. You can find something similar at Mirkwood Designs, and there are many free templates at By Donovan, although I didn't see a takout box there. Boxes are also available at craft stores, but it's easier to make your own than to take one apart to decorate it. This box measures approximately 2-1/2" tall.

My first step was to stamp a snowflake design all over the flat cardstock.


Next, I used a bone folder and a ruler to score all the fold lines, and carefully folded the box. Once you score all the fold lines, it will be pretty obvious how the box should be folded.


Then I used a long-reach punch to punch 1/8" holes in the sides, through which I inserted a tiny brad. The brads should hold everything in place, so there's really no need to use tape or glue. If you have a Crop-a-Dile (which, sadly, I don't!), you can easily punch holes through all three layers at once, or you could even use eyelets here, and maybe add a wire handle through the eyelets.


To finish off your box, fill it with treats or a gift, and tie it with a ribbon.

2 comments:

Lisa Fulmer said...

super cute! have you seen the chinese take out box in this pop-out book?
gift box studio

Cheryl said...

Hi Lisa, thanks for the heads-up on the book. So cute! But now I want ALL the books in the series!