Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Remembering Daddy


I've usually tried to avoid getting too personal here, because my original plan for this blog was to share crafting ideas, to show you what I'm making, and to provide the occasional tutorial. But in recent months I've been absent more often than not, for a variety of reasons, and I thought it only fair that I share a few of those reasons with readers who visit here frequently. After all, it's usually the personal side of my life that drives the creative side.

Two weeks ago today, Daddy lost his short battle with leukemia, after many years of health issues and chronic pain. It is astounding how a family illness can paralyze you. And now that his suffering is over and we are celebrating his life, as he requested that we do, I'm still having some serious concentration issues. Add to the mix a poorly thought-out relocation eight months ago (although I'm glad we were here for Daddy's last months), a physically demanding part-time job with bizarre hours, the decision to go to graduate school, trying to choose the right school and program, and studying for the GRE, I simply haven't had any time and energy left.

But, some of those things are behind me now, and although I expect to be relocating again this summer (I'll tell you all about that later!), I'll once again be showing you my projects and will eventually send some more tutorials your way. You'll have to bear with me for a bit, because most of my things are packed and I'll be working with a limited assortment of supplies. And I won't promise to post every day, but I will try to share something with you at least 2 or 3 times a week. After my mojo is back, maybe I'll be able to increase that.

For now, I'll leave you with one of Daddy's favorite photos, above. I didn't even know he had it until after his death. It was taken on a tour of Longhorn Caverns in Burnet, Texas, in the late sixties. The eyeglasses on some of the people give away the age of this shot. If you want to know which little tourist is me, go over to my flickr account and view the notes on the photo.

2 comments:

Darrell said...

Where to begin ... Uncle was a different bird in the best sense. I shall miss his unique laugh, his squint when he was pushing my buttons.His presence in my daily life was diminished over the decades, but during my childhood, he filled a large portion of it.
Summer visits in Alabama were met with anticipation. Granted, my stays were generally shorter than those of my siblings, but i enjoyed them greatly.
Admonishments by him were the norm over multiday games of Monopoly over on Lobit Street. I think we argued too much during his newspaper reading.
I also remember his hearty laugh during our mimed rendition of "Bohemian Rhapsody" over at the house on Fowl River.
It will never cease to amaze me that someone could turn a properly cooked fried egg into mush using only a fork and knife. To this day, I cannot manage the feat.
Cousin, I feel deeply for your loss. I shall miss him as well.
Darrell

Chezmateo said...

I just heard about the news from Dottie. I am so sorry to hear that. It was only once I got to meet Hiram when he and Judy came to stay here with us in NJ a few years ago. Our memories and laughter from that short visit still echo in the household, as we had kept in touch in the years since. You are in our thoughts during this reflective time.

Matthew Hanley